My Beautiful Struggle + [Review]

Review: Afterlife by Claudia Gray

Afterlife by Claudia Gray Publisher: HarperTeen (March 8, 2011) Reading Level: Young Adult Hardcover: 368 pages Source: Publisher Series: Evernight, #4 Rating: 4 of 5 stars The fourth book in this electrifying vampire series has all the romance, suspense, and page-turning drama that have made Claudia Gray’s Evernight books runaway successes.

Having become what they feared most, Bianca and Lucas face a terrifying new reality. They must return to Evernight Academy, Lucas as a vampire and Bianca as a wraith. But Lucas is haunted by demons, both personal and supernatural. Bianca must help him fight the evil inside him, combat the forces determined to drive them apart—and find the power to claim her destiny at last.

Readers have fallen in love with Bianca and Lucas, and they will be thrilled to read this exciting conclusion to their romantic adventure.
Review: Contains spoilers if you haven't read the previous books in the series.

I've had a relationship with this series for a long time now. Evernight was actually the next book I picked out after reading Twilight. I'm sad to see the series end but I was pleased with how everything turned out. It was an ending I would never have imagined happening after reading book 1.

Afterlife picks up where Hourglass left us but I was still shocked with what Claudia Gray had in store for us during this last installment. I enjoyed all the twists and turns in the plot and how many, but not all, of our questions are answered. We can easily see how much Bianca and Lucus have grown as characters throughout this series and how strong they are now. Their love has matured and each challenge has brought them closer together.

The setting of this book is familiar to us but we get to see a new side of Evernight Academy. It's more of being"on the outside looking in" as we follow the characters and see things from Bianca's perspective. One of my favorite characters has always been Balthazar. Needless to say, I was thrilled to find out that he will have his own story! Since the beginning I found myself at times cheering for Balthazar to win Bianca's affections.

Claudia Gray did a fantastic job bringing this complex story together and ending it on a high note. It was not a conclusion where everything is perfect, and a few parts were frustrating, but it was a satisfying outcome for this couple.

Afterlife puts an end to a series I had come to love. This paranormal world Claudia Gray created will not be easily forgotten and the characters will remain as some of my favorites.

Find Claudia Gray
Website | Blog | Twitter

Purchase Afterlife
Amazon | Barnes & Noble | The Book Depository