My Beautiful Struggle + [strange]

Review: Dirty Blood by Heather Hildenbrand

Dirty Blood by Heather Hildenbrand
Publisher: Accendo Press (November 22nd, 2011)
Reading Level: Young Adult
Paperback: 288 pages
Source: Author
Series: Dirty Blood, book #1
Rating: 4 of 5 stars
I killed a girl last night. I did it with my bare hands and an old piece of pipe I found lying next to the dumpster. But that’s not the part that got me. The part that scared me, the part I can’t seem to wrap my head around and still has me reeling, was that when she charged me, her body shifted – and then she was a wolf. All snapping teeth and extended claws. But by the time I stood over her lifeless body, she was a girl again. That’s about the time I went into shock… And that was the moment he showed up.

Now, all I can do is accept the truths that are staring me in the face. One, Werewolves do exist. And Two, I was born to kill them.
Review: I've always been a fan of werewolf books and this one absolutely lived up to my expectations. Dirty Blood puts a twist on the typical werewolf tale because it involves a hunter who is just learning about the world she never knew existed.

After Tara has a fight with her boyfriend she runs into trouble on her way home. A girl attacks her and then suddenly the girl is a wolf. Tara manages to kill the wolf/girl but she has no idea what just happened. Then a guy shows up acting like a girl turning into a wolf is something completely normal.Yeah, sure. Happens every day. The next morning Tara wakes up with the stranger in her room. Wes- who just happens to be a total hotty- tries to explain things to Tara but it all seems insane. Werewolves exist, she killed one, and Wes IS one.

Eventually Tara finds out that she is more connected to the werewolf world than she imagined. She is a hunter. It's her job to kill werewolves but there is a group of them who are trying to work with hunters and keep peace. But things are not so simple. Someone is after Tara and is willing to harm the ones she loves in order to get to her. Maybe she is more important than she first realized?

Tara and Wes have a love/hate, give/take relationship at first. This was a good thing because it allowed them to slowly evolve and get to know one another. Tara was a wonderful lead character and it was easy to see her strength and determination. Wes was frustrating at times but someone I really enjoyed. Heather Hildenbrand created a complex world and history for these characters and it was easy to feel connected to their way of life.

Dirty Blood is the start of a fascinating werewolf tale full of twists, turns, and action. I can't wait to see what Heather has in store for these characters next!

Website | Goodreads | Twitter | Facebook

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | The Book Depository